Ferguson (William A.) Papers, 1862, 2 Items

Administrative Information


Access: Unrestricted

Copyright: The copyright of these letters is held by Navarro College Archives, Navarro College, 3200 W. 7th Ave., Corsicana, Texas. Internet: archives@navarrocollege.edu.

Cite As:William Ferguson Papers, Pearce Civil War Collection

Forms Part of: Pearce Civil War Collection

Location: 1-E2-b

Transcription(s): Yes

Scanned Copies on File: No

Accession Number: 2000.222; 2001.222b

Processed by: Rosabel Rasmussen, May 2004

Reproductions of original materials and transcriptions may be available. Please contact the archivist for further information.

Abstract: Two letters signed by William A. Ferguson, a member of the 8th Confederate Cavalry, document his military service. The first letter (March 31, 1862) contains the ordinary details of service in Tennessee. The second letter (June 15, 1862) details the abandonment of Corinth and the retreat south.

Biographical/Historical Sketch

William A. Ferguson served in Tennessee and Mississippi with the 8th Confederate Cavalry from March through June 1862. In June 1862, he was in General Bragg’s Division under General James R. Chalmers.

Scope and Content Note

The first letter (March 31, April, 1862: 9 pages) relates the ordinary details of service in Tennessee. He mentions posting and receiving mail, assignment of a new officer, care of sick and wounded, plunder of homes, comments of Union prisoners, and the acquisition of abandoned Union gear. He notes Union dependence on gun boats on the Tennessee River for present security and support for a future attack. The second letter (June 15, 1862; 11 pages) was written when Ferguson was in Georgia, south of Corinth, after its abandonment. The accepted explanation is the advantage to the Confederates of the new position. During the move, they lost 7 supply and other trains and 10,000 men. His party of 40 Confederates chased a panicked Union force of 100.


The copyright of these materials is managed by the Navarro College Archives on behalf of the Navarro College Foundation, 3100 W. Collin St., Corsicana, Texas 75110. Phone: 903-875-7438. Internet: archives@navarrocollege.edu.