If you are interested in getting involved in your community, if you love history and/or art, or just looking for something to do, then the Pearce Museum has a voluteer opportunity for you!
Join us on Friday, Sept. 23, from 10 a.m. to noon for hte New Volunteer Orientation. Prospective volunteers will get to see the big picture at the museum, then decide how to personally get involved. For example, volunteers can:
- Serve as a docent, welcoming guests, and providing public tours as requested
- Help with educational programming and tours for school groups
- Edit Civil War letters and documents
- Immerse themselves in a full-fledged indexing project to better open the doors for scholarly research in the Civil War collection
- Review current topical material to create research files for the general public
- Scan documents and photographs
- Help with special events and programs
- Help install exhibitions, and
- Be on cal for lots of weird stuff . . . no kidding!
The museum extends its reach into the community through its volunteers. As a volunteer, you'll be the first to know what's going on at the museum, receive hte newsletter, and get volunteer discounts. Bimonthly "coffees" keep everyone involved and informed, while scheduled training sessions keep volunteers and staff on the same page.
After orientation on Sept. 23, a series of training sessions on the various topics will be offered over the next few weeks so everyone can take part in their chosen volunteer area.
If you are interested in being a volunteer at the Pearce Museum, or if you are already a volunteer and want to attend, contact Christi Driskell, volunteer coordinator at (903) 875-7420, or firstname.lastname@example.org. Please R.S.V.P by Sept. 21. We look forward to hearing from you!
~Must be 17; serious college students are welcomed.